Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Book 17 - The Beggar at the Manor

Telemachus left us at Eumaeus' hut and headed to his palace, where he received a tearful welcome from Penelope and his favorite nurse Eurycleia. In the palace hall he met Theoclymenus and Piraeus. He told Piraeus not to bring his gifts from Menelaus to the palace, fearing that the suitors will steal them if they killed him. When he sat down to eat with Penelope, Telemachus told her what little news he received of me in Pylos and Sparta, but he didn’t reveal that he has seen me with his own eyes in Eumaeus’s hut. I told him not to for it was part of our plan! Theoclymenus then speaks up and swore that I was in Ithaca at this very moment. Damn his big fat mouth! He is the first one I'm going to kill after those suitors. Meanwhile, Eumaeus and I set out toward town in Telemachus’s footsteps. On the way they meet Melanthius, a base subordinate of the suitors, who heaped scorn on Eumaeus and kicked me, his beggar companion. I felt like discarding it and kicking his *** right then and then, making sure he wouldn't live to tell the tale. Man it was hard to keep in the frustration and anger. Now I know how Penelope felt all of those times I insulted her and she didn't say anything. Personal honor is really very important. Everyone needs to have theirs kept, otherwise there would not be a proper and functioning society. I received a similar welcome at the palace. The suitors gave me food with great reluctance, and Antinous went out of his way to insult me. I said it before, and I'll say it again, he is going to be the first to be killed. When I answered insult with insult, Antinous gave me a blow with a stool that disgusted even the other suitors. When man cannot protect honor with words, they resort to violence. Its always been the case. Now, before his death, I will make sure he gets a few extra punishments, a little revenge, a little torture, and a little game, all mixed in to one, the result of which will be his death. Report of this cruelty reached Penelope, who asked to have me brought to her so that she can question me about myself, Odysseus. I thought that my cover was going to be blown, because of all of the vivd details I would give in recounting my story. I, however, doidn’t want the suitors to see me heading toward the queen’s room. Eumaeus announced that he must return to his hut and hogs, leaving me alone with Telemachus and the suitors.

No comments: