Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Book 22 - Death in the Great Hall

Before the suitors realized what is happening, I shot a second arrow through the throat of Antinous. The arrow was simply beautiful! Right in the middle of his trachea, or so my New Trier helper says. That ended his life span immediately. As it always has been, evil will always fall to good and the truth. No matter how strong and how powerful evil and falsehood is. The suitors were confused and believed this shooting to be an accident. I finally revealed myself, and the suitors became terrified. They had no way out, since Philoetius had locked the front door and Eumaeus had locked the doors to the women’s quarters. Eurymachus tried to calm me down, insisting that Antinous was the only bad apple among them, but I announced that I would spare none of them. How can they dare claim that they are not bad apples? Did they not decide to come to my house and eat my cattle, drink my wine, insult my son, and court my wife? Or did Antinous force them to do that too? Eurymachus then charged at me, but he was cut down by another arrow. Amphinomus was the next to fall, at the spear of Telemachus. I think Telly got the hint that I couldn't get that idiot. The rest I could "own". Amphinomus had given me a favor when I was shunned by the rest of these *******s. There was no way possible I could kill him. LIke Peter Pettigrew couldn't kill Harry Potter or deliver him to his master because he was indebted to Harry for saving his life. I too, was indebted and that debt was only repayable by giving the favorer refuge when he needed it most. An eye for an eye. What was done, has been repayed. I didn't tell Telly to kill him. But on the other hand, I didn't tell him to not kill him, either. Atleast, the blame does not go on me, labeling me as a coward. So, all's well when ends well. Telemachus got more shields and swords from the storeroom to arm Eumaeus and Philoetius, but he forgot to lock it on his way out. The idiot! Melanthius soon reached the storeroom and gets out fresh arms for the suitors. He wasn’t so lucky on his second trip to the storeroom, however, as Eumaeus and Philoetius found him there, tied him up, and locked him in. A full battle now raged in the palace hall. Athena, the greatest goddess of like, all time, appeared disguised as Mentor and encouraged me but doesn’t participate immediately, preferring instead to test my strength. Volleys of spears were exchanged, and I and my men killed several suitors while receiving only superficial wounds ourselves. Finally, Athena joined the battle, which then ended swiftly. I spared the minstrel Phemius and the herald Medon, unwilling participants in the suitors’ profligacy. The priest Leodes begged unsuccessfully for mercy. It was rather sad, but it had to be done, nonetheless.

No comments: