Thursday, March 13, 2008

Book 23 - The Trunk of the Olive Tree

Eurycleia went upstairs to call Penelope, who has slept through the entire fight. How can you sleep through such a big fight? How is that possible? She was supposed to peek out the door and see me, Odysseus, killing suitors after getting their gifts for Penelope. Penelope didn’t believe anything that Eurycleia said, and she remained in disbelief even when she came downstairs and saw me with her own eyes. Telemachus rebuked her for not greeting me more lovingly after my long absence, but I had other problems to worry about. I had just killed all of the noble young men of Ithaca—their parents would surely be greatly distressed. I'm sure I would be just as distressed and enraged if Telemachus was killed. I actually thought Athena would cover up for this. Ig uess, even when there is a superego at work to egg someone on, that person still has to clean up after their actions. I decided that me and my family would need to lay low at our farm for a while. In the meantime, a minstrel struck up a happy song so that no passersby would suspect what had taken place in the palace. Thank god for that man! When all of this is over, he is going to be one of the first to get a reward for their loyalty. Penelope remained wary, afraid that a god was playing a trick on her. She ordered Eurycleia to move her bridal bed, and I suddenly flared up at her that our bed is immovable, explaining how it was built from the trunk of an olive tree around which the house had been constructed. Hearing me recount these details, she knew that I must be her husband. It was about time that she recognized! We got reacquainted and, afterward, I gave the wife a brief account of my wanderings. I also told her about the trip that I needed to make to fulfill the prophecy of Tiresias earlier. The next day, I left with Telemachus for father's orchard. I gave Penelope instructions not to leave her room or receive any visitors. Telemachus and I were cloaked by Athena in darkness so that no one would see us as we walked through the town.

No comments: