Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Book 21 - Test of the Bow

Penelope brought out my bow out of the storeroom and announced that she will marry the suitor who can string it and then shoot an arrow through a line of twelve axes. Telemachus set up the axes and then tried his own hand at the bow, but failed in his attempt to string it. Would ut be that because he knew that I was back, he missed on purpose? He knew I would've killed him first if he maarried his mother while I was there. Could it be that it was all just a farce, or was he really thinking he could marry my wife, and then kill me once I began an attack on him? The suitors warmed and greased the bow to make it supple, but one by one they all tried and failed. Meanwhile, I followed Eumaeus and Philoetius outside. I assured myself of their loyalty and then revealed my identity to them by means of the scar on his foot. I promised to treat them as Telemachus’s brothers if they fought by my side against the suitors. I was going to treat like Eumaeus like my own brother after what he did to me at his hut, anyways. When I returned, Eurymachus had the bow. He felt disgraced that he cannot string it, because he knew that this failure proved his inferiority to me. Antinous suggested that they adjourn until the next day, when they can sacrifice to Apollo, the archer god, before trying again. I feel that the suitors are just one person. All they want to do is just marry Penelope. They don't really care who she marries as long as it is from one of them. What do they think that Penelope will be ordered to sleep with the rest of them if one of those idiots are selected? Do they think women are public property that whenever someone wants, could come use a woman, have fun, and simply leave? NO!!! That is not what a woman is! Women too, have personal honor, even if it is not recognized by society. This needs to be recognized by society, because women are just as important to society as the men. If there are no women, there won't be able to be any men, because no one will be able to bear the child of the man. Therefore, the woman is just as, if not more important than the man, whether that be in society, or in life, in general. That was a pretty smart move, though by Antinous, but in the fear of them achieving their goal, I, still disguised, then asked for the bow. All of the suitors complained, fearing that I would succeed. Antinous ridiculed me, saying that the wine had gone to my head and that I would bring disaster upon myself, just like the legendary drunken Centaur Eurytion. Telemachus took control and ordered Eumaeus to give me the bow. Needless to say, I easily strung it and sent the first arrow I grabbed whistling through all twelve axes. Ha! You should have seen the look on that idiot, Antinous' face! IT was hilarious! I leave you now to laugh out loud at his stupid looking, ugly, dumbstruck face. Fare well, or as you people say, see ya!

No comments: